Life Lessons From Softball Little Leaguers | Softball Is For Girls
Coming up through the age groups of softball, or any sport – makes you forget a lot of things. It makes the girls who play forget a lot of things. Things that ‘used’ to be important. Some of these things are the reasons that they (and we) fell in love with the game to begin with. Other things we may have forgotten, like how difficult it is to watch a kid run to 3rd base instead of 1st, or watch a team throw a softball around the field like it’s a game of hot potato, show us just how far we have come.
So today, we are sharing some ‘life’ lessons from the little softball leaguers, the 8U and 10U’s. The girls just starting their journey who simply are there to play and have fun.
Tons of designs for players, coaches, moms and FANS!
Turns out that watching them play shows us they have a lot to teach/remind us about LIFE and this game we all know and love…
- If you got a wedgie…pick it! Seriously, PICK THE DARN THING no matter who is looking! Life and a softball game are too short to spend being uncomfortable because your britches are riding up in all the wrong places.
- The scoreboard doesn’t always tell the WHOLE story! Winning is important, but it is not EVERYTHING. Ask a little one if they won or lost, and chances are they may not know especially if the scoreboards aren’t on, but they will typically always think they WON, or at the very least gained something during the game. They will tell you about the great hit they had or the awesome play, or what they learned…which is a great attitude to keep in your life. Even if you lose, there is ALWAYS something positive to take away.
- You don’t have to hit a ball out of the park to CELEBRATE a home-run! Either way you scored a run! This lesson is particularly deep…and these younger girls totally ‘get it.’ A homerun is a homerun. It doesn’t matter if it was achieved due to multiple errors on the defense, or if it just rolled to the outfield with 3-4 sets of little legs trying to chase it. It’s a homerun, and it should be celebrated with just as much enthusiasm as a ball hit out of the park. Turns out, in life and in softball there are LOTS and LOTS of mini-home-runs in our lives that score yet we often forget to celebrate!
- It is never too hot, and you are never too tired and you don’t have to win to eat cake. For reals people, when you get the chance, eat the CAKE!
- SIZE DOESN’T MATTER…It’s the size of the heart, not the size of the girl.
- Cheering matters. Cheering changes things. Cheering is a sign of HAPPY & HEART! You are never too old to cheer for your teammates, and it can do amazing things.
- You’re parents and family are not embarrassing. They love you. They are on your side. You are there because they make it happen. You never outgrow your family; kisses and hugs are cool – no matter how old you are.
- There are only so many chances in life to slide into home plate! Go ahead and slide. Make a grand entrance. Get a little dirty. And by all means remain enthusiastic every time you cross home plate!
- You cannot catch a fly ball if you are picking your nose. In other words, pay attention to what is going on around you! Life happens fast, and just when you least expect it – the ball will come your way! be ready for anything.
- A team-mate is just like a sister. They are family. You are ALL in this together! You are better together than you are ALONE!
- Even the worst case scenarios in life CAN BE FUN! You just have to not be afraid to get yourself dirty.
- Never be afraid to TAKE A HACK! Discipline comes with time. Eventually you will know which balls you can hit out of the park and which balls you can’t. In the meantime, TAKE A HACK and mean it. Swing out of your shoes trying! The only way you ever really fail in life (or on the field) is by just standing there letting all the good pitches go by!